Wednesday, May 20, 2020

What's Keeping Me (somewhat) Sane Right Now

Back in January (approximately 400 years ago, right?) I kept coming across all of these, "What's Saving My Life Right Now" or "What's Keeping Me Sane Right Now" blog posts and I loved reading them. They made me think about all the little things that help me get through the cold, dark days of winter and I thought it would be super fun to write a similar post of my own. Life with a very needy 2 month old baby meant that I never did get around to writing it and then came... March. Things started closing or getting cancelled and stay at home orders started rolling out. Life as we knew it had been completely shaken up. The idea of writing a blog post about the things keeping me sane seemed laughable at best because what was 'sane' anymore? Every day was different and I couldn't concentrate on anything at all. My focus, or what remains of my focus 5 kids later, was non existent. What was keeping me sane? Ummm...?

2 months (!!) later, and this idea of listing the things keeping me going right now feels relevant and doable again. My brain doesn't feel quite as chaotic, anxious place these days (most days anyway), and I feel equipped to articulate what all is helping me along day to day. My hope in sharing this post is that maybe somebody will find something that they themselves want to try, but at the very least I want to try to capture this surreal moment in time to look back on in the future.

So here we go. Here's some of the things helping me at least attempt to stay sane at home for 2 months and counting with 5 small children, in the midst of a global pandemic (yikes).

*A devotional and some scripture reading first thing in the AM.
I've always enjoyed a morning devotional, but I haven't had the brain space to dive into one of my favorite devotional books or a full Bible study lately. Besides the whole pandemic thing, there's the whole postpartum with a very needy baby thing. The app 'First 5' has been perfect. It's quick and to the point, and I can read it on my phone before I've even sat all the way up in bed yet.

*Minimal news reading, but still SOME news reading.
For a few years now I get an email from The Skimm every morning. Each email is a concise overview of some of the big news points from the last 24 hours. They include links to read more if you want to, but just skimming (see where their name comes from?) the email helps me feel knowledgeable without feeling overwhelmed.

And then of course there's John Krasinski's amazing YouTube weekly news show, Some Good News. He did 8 episodes and every single one made me cry. If you haven't watched them yet, GO NOW.



*Getting ready every day.
I don't mean like full hair and makeup. But I do mean changing out of my pjs into leggings and a clean shirt and brushing my hair before redoing my top knot. It's often really tempting to skip all of this, but the mornings I wash my face, brush my teeth, make my bed, get dressed, and brush my hair set me up for days where I don't feel like I'm going to fall asleep before lunch. It has proved important for the kids too. We do have the occasional pj day, but mostly they get fully dressed and I do the girls' hair.

*Music
I've been making a LOT of playlists. Show tunes especially have been clutch.

*Reading
My first thought when I knew we wouldn't be going anywhere for a while was, "I AM GOING TO GET SO MUCH READING DONE!" This wasn't immediately the case. I struggled to stay focused enough to finish books quickly. That has gotten better with time though, especially if I mix up the types of books I'm reading to keep things interesting. Without the library, I'm having to change my normal reading habits. The Libby app to borrow ebooks and audiobooks has been great, but since so many people are using it right now, most books have holds and some have LONG holds. I don't usually buy many books, but I've needed to lately. ThriftBooks has always been my go to for our books for school and books for Christmas/Birthday gifts for the kids, but I've ordered myself a few from there lately as well. Great prices for used books and they carry new releases too!

I also just joined Book of the Month, which I'm really excited about. I should actually be getting my first book tomorrow! The way it works is, you pay $14.99/month for a book credit. Each month they release 5 titles for you to choose from (and you also have the option of looking back into their archives and choosing from there). If you want to skip a month, you just click 'skip' instead of choosing a book and your credit rolls over to the next month. Since they're hardcover, fairly new releases, that's a good price! It's going to give me something super fun to look forward to, which is another big plus. Fully shameless plug here: I have a referral link for Book of the Month. If you want to try it out and go through my link, you can get your first month for $9.99 (and I get a book credit!) So here's my referral link if you want to try!

*Baking
Baking has always been soothing to me. It's also been helpful lately to make our groceries stretch since we're trying to only send James out for them twice a week. Every Wednesday (I am craving structure and making it wherever I can!) I make a batch of muffins to eat for breakfast the next 2 days. It's Wednesday as I type this and I'll be making blueberry muffins later this afternoon! I've been making a lot of bread (since James was able to score a bulk bag of flour and my mom was able to find me some yeast! Yeast and flour are like gold right now!) and baking different treats with the kids. They made brownies totally on their own a few weeks ago!

Here's one of my favorite muffin recipes



*Barely planned projects with the kids
I do love a planned craft and there are some seriously cute ones floating around the social media sphere right now, but what's been working best for us lately is me putting out the materials and letting them do what they will with them. Setting out paints, making a batch of play doh, getting out a couple pairs of scissors and some glue and then just letting them have at it. I shared on my Instagram recently that, when the kids are in a funk, water (bath, sprinkler, pool, etc), outside time, and art in any form can turn their moods around.  Which leads into my next thing...



*Outside
It's good for the kids and just as good for me. This past weekend it was warm enough to get out our sprinkler and fill up the little pool. Laying on a big blanket in the shade with Julia while the big kids played in the pool was amazing and I'm looking forward to a lot more of that in the future. The only thing missing from our house and yard that we love so much is easy access to a place for walks. I would absolutely love to be taking regular walks together right now, but the best I can do is loops around the yard without driving somewhere else. Our favorite place to hike has just reopened though. Hopefully soon we'll be able to hike a couple miles there on a day when it isn't too crowded.





*Deliberate mommy time outs
This is a little easier right now because Julia's in that super distracted nursing phase, so I have to go upstairs to my room a few times a day just to get her to eat well. But I've realized those deliberate quiet moments have been incredibly important to my sanity lately. Especially in the evening. James has been working late and Julia gets hungry right around dinnertime. By then I've been stretched pretty thin and one of the hardest parts of the day is still ahead of me. Putting dinner on the table for the big kids and taking 5 to 10 minutes upstairs to nurse Julia, listen to music, and take some deep breaths is very helpful. Same goes for the mid-bedtime routine breather I take while the big 3 kids are finishing cleaning up the playroom. I take the little girls upstairs to get in their pjs and have a little snuggle.




*Disney +
The kids watch 1 movie every afternoon and having all of the old classics available has been amazing.
They get stuck easily (right now its the Lion King movies over and over and over) so on Mondays we have New Movie Monday and they have to watch something they've never seen. We've also been loving the Disney Family Sing-a-Longs!

*Podcasts
My favorite time of day right now is when I'm making dinner and folding laundry while Julia is napping in the wrap and I'm listening to a podcast. Here's my favorites if you're looking for something new:

Novel Pairings
Sara and Chelsey, both high school english teachers, read a different classic every other week, talk about it a bit, and then each offer 3 book recommendations along the same theme or feeling as the classic. Since they've had some extra time on their hands lately they've been recording bonus episodes on their 'off' weeks too where they've talked about comfort reads, poetry, and a really excellent Edith Wharton short story. Their goal isn't for people to read the classics with them, and you can definitely listen if you haven't read the books, but I have really been enjoying reading along! Sprinkling some classics in with my regular classics feels like it's helping keep my brain from turning to complete mush.

He Read She Read
Chelsey (same Chelsey from Novel Pairings) and Curtis, a married couple, discuss books they've read, make recommendations, and occasionally do buddy reads. Their show is on a hiatus right now because Curtis is deployed, but they've been around for a while, so there are a lot of episodes in their backlog.

What Should I Read Next
Anne Bogel (Modern Mrs. Darcy) talks to a different reader every week about their reading life and then they tell her 3 books they loved, 1 they didn't, and what they're currently reading so she can recommend them a few new reads.

Office Ladies
Jenna Fischer (Pam Beesly) and Angela Kinsey (Angela Martin) from The Office are watching and discussing an episode a week. They're up to Season 3, episode 1, so a fair amount of episodes in their backlog to binge listen to!

Showmance
Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang) and Kevin McHale (Artie Abrams) from Glee are watching and discussing season 1 of the show right now.




*Working out
I need to do some sort of movement every day or I get really mean. BodyFit By Amy on YouTube has a ton of really great workouts. I highly recommend checking her out, especially if you are pregnant or postpartum! Also on YouTube, Katherine Morgan has been uploading some really awesome ballet class videos for different levels. I did an Int/Adv barre the other day and it felt absolutely amazing.

*Babywearing
The fact that I do not know how to effectively and sanely parent without babywearing is nothing new, but it deserves mention here. Julia's last nap of the day right now is always in the wrap and doing things around the kitchen with her asleep on my chest is like therapy for me right now.



*My husband
James' job is considered essential and he's been working quite a lot of overtime, so I'm not seeing more of him right now than I normally do or anything, but I'm just especially grateful to see another adult at the end of the day. He recently had to isolate from us at home due to potentially being exposed to somebody who ended up being covid-positive and at the end of that isolation I was more grateful than ever not only that he was healthy, but for the extra set of hands, even if they're only around sometimes.



Coming up with this list has actually been really fun. Life is hard right now and there is way too much scary uncertainty, but remembering all of the little things that have been bringing me some joy and some calm lately has been a great exercise! I'm curious to know what keeps you sane? Either in these weird Corona days, or just normally. Because we all need something (or multiple things), right? I hope you get a chance to see/do/hear/etc your things today.

No comments:

Post a Comment